You probably want to copy your Yahoo emails to Gmail for one of the following reasons:
- You’re switching from Yahoo to Gmail
- You want to merge your Yahoo mail with Gmail
- You’d like to have a backup of your email in another account
In this article we explore two methods of transferring Yahoo mail to Gmail: the automatic option and the manual process. But before we dive into details, here’s a quick overview of what you will learn below.
The fast and easy way to transfer old Yahoo emails into Gmail is to use VaultMe. It works automatically online, so all you have to do is just connect your Yahoo and Gmail accounts and click “Start”.
The manual method is less reliable, has a number of limitations, and requires additional resources. But it is worth trying if you have a small account and know how to handle possible issues.
Additionally, we’ve prepared a brief but useful FAQ section that you will find at the end of the article. It is based on questions frequently asked by people who wish to combine their Yahoo and Gmail accounts or switch from Yahoo to Gmail.
How to migrate Yahoo emails to Gmail automatically
Yahoo does not offer the functionality of migrating Yahoo mail to another account, so the only way to copy your email automatically would be to use a third party app. We suggest that you try VaultMe because the extensive work done by our engineering team ensures the best possible results.
VaultMe is a secure online tool for email migrations. VaultMe can copy your Yahoo emails and folders to your personal Gmail or to a Google Workspace account. It makes transferring Yahoo mail to Gmail quick and hassle-free.
Here’s why we recommend VaultMe for Yahoo to Gmail migrations:
- The app provides precise results (the formatting, the read/unread status, and attachments are copied)
- VaultMe saves the folder organization of a Yahoo email account and transforms Yahoo folders into Gmail labels
- VaultMe works online in a browser (you can turn off your computer once your migration starts)
- VaultMe takes only a minute or two to set up
- VaultMe has made lots of people happy — and you can read about their experience in the reviews!
How to copy Yahoo emails to Gmail manually "for free"
To copy your Yahoo emails into another account manually, you will need a desktop email app such as Thunderbird or Outlook.
Once you install the app, do the following:
- Connect your Yahoo account using the settings displayed below. If you're using Yahoo Account Key, generate an app password and use it as your account password.
Connect your Gmail account to the app.
You may need to enable IMAP in Gmail first.
- Drag and drop your emails from Yahoo to Gmail.
There are things you should consider before you copy your Yahoo mail to Gmail manually:
- The desktop email app will need hard drive storage for a temporary copy of your Yahoo email archive. Make sure you have enough free storage space on your computer before you start.
- If you have a lot of emails and folders in your Yahoo account, the copying process may take a lot of time, possibly several days or even weeks. This method is not recommended for accounts with over 10 000 items and/or 10 GB of used storage, but even smaller accounts may take several days to sync.
- You will need to keep your computer turned on during the copying process.
- Some of the emails and/or folders may not copy, especially if power supply or broadband connection are interrupted.
- Moving Yahoo emails from one account into the other may slow down the work of your computer.
To sum up what has been discussed above, copying the emails manually would be reasonable only in limited cases. While this option may seem “free”, it may cost you more in time and energy.
Unless you are absolutely certain that you have all the necessary resources and know how to resolve possible technical issues, we recommend that you use the automatic option.
Frequent questions about switching from Yahoo to Gmail
Can I use a Yahoo email address for a Google account?
No, unfortunately, you cannot create a Google account with a Yahoo email. When you sign up for a Google account, a new Gmail address is created.
Can I convert Yahoo to Gmail?
No, Yahoo and Gmail are independent email services. But you can create a Gmail address and transfer all emails from Yahoo to Gmail as described above in this article.
Can I merge Yahoo and Gmail accounts?
No. You can add your Yahoo email address to Gmail if you wish to check your Yahoo and Gmail email from one account. This will link Yahoo and Gmail but it won’t actually merge the accounts into one. You will still be using two email accounts and two email providers.
Please note that if you are subscribed to a paid Yahoo plan, you will still be paying for it after you add the email address to Gmail.
Can I switch from Yahoo to Gmail?
If you wish to save your old Yahoo emails and access them from Gmail, you can transfer them to your new Gmail account (to do that, use the instructions provided in this article).
Can I export Yahoo to Gmail?
Yahoo does not offer an export feature for their email service. But you can copy Yahoo emails to Gmail either manually using a third party email app or automatically using VaultMe. To try VaultMe, click the button below.
Can I transfer Yahoo mail folders to Gmail?
When you copy your Yahoo emails to Gmail, the folders are copied, too.
If you decide to go with the manual method, some of the folders and emails may fail to copy. If you are using VaultMe, all emails and folders will be copied precisely.
Can I use a Yahoo to Gmail migration tool?
Yahoo does not offer native migration software for transferring Yahoo mail to Gmail, but you can use a third-party tool. We recommend VaultMe because it’s fast, precise, and simple.
To copy your Yahoo email to Gmail using VaultMe:
- Go to https://app.vaultme.com.
- Connect your Yahoo account as a source account.
- Connect Gmail as a destination account.
- Click “Start”.