If you need to move documents from OneDrive to Google Drive, you’d probably want to do that as quickly and efficiently as possible, especially if you have a lot of files in your account. Ideally, you’d want your OneDrive items to be copied to Google Drive automatically.
Since OneDrive does not offer the functionality of automatic transfer from OneDrive to Google Drive, the only way to fully automate the process is to use a secure third party migration tool.
VaultMe is an online app designed to automatically copy files, including the content that is shared with you, from OneDrive to Google Drive. It makes moving OneDrive files to Google Drive as simple as possible.
Alternatively, you may choose to copy your OneDrive data to Google Drive using free manual methods. These methods are not as efficient as the automatic option and they may cost you more time and effort than you would expect, so you should weigh your options carefully before you start.
In this article we review 3 methods of migrating OneDrive to Google Drive. We begin with the automatic option because it is easier to use, but you may consider manual options, too, as long as you are ready for some challenge.
3 ways to migrate data from OneDrive to Google Drive
Option 1. Use VaultMe to transfer OneDrive to Google Drive automatically
VaultMe is a secure online tool for migrating data between OneDrive and Google Drive accounts. It will copy all your files and folders to Google Drive automatically and will preserve the folder organization of your account.
You can use VaultMe to copy the files that you own, or the files that are shared with you, or both.
Here’s why VaultMe should be your first choice for migrating OneDrive to Google Drive:
- The app is fully automated and requires no manual work. It will save hours of your time!
- It can copy all your documents, including the ones that are shared with you, at once.
- VaultMe can also copy your Outlook emails, contacts, and calendars to your Google account, all at the same time. This is ideal for making a switch from Microsoft to Google.
- VaultMe copies the folder structure of a OneDrive account. No archives to unzip. No folders to re-reorganize.
- The VaultMe app provides accurate results and generates a detailed migration report. You will receive a full list of the items that have been copied.
- VaultMe works online in a browser. No need to install any additional software on your computer!
- VaultMe is trusted by individuals and businesses worldwide. And we are proud of the reviews that it receives.
Setting up a migration will only take a minute or two. Click the button below to give it a try!
Option 2. Copy your files from OneDrive to Google Drive manually
Using this method you will be able to download your files and folders to your computer and then upload them to Google Drive.
Here’s how you can move items from OneDrive to Google Drive manually:
Go to your OneDrive account in a browser and download the files to your computer.
Select the file or folder you want to download and click the "Download" button in the top menu.
- Upload the file or folder to your Google Drive.
Please note that this manual method has a number of limitations. Consider the following before you begin:
- The download and upload process will be slow. It may take up to several days or even weeks to transfer your OneDrive content to Google Drive (especially if you have a large account with over 10,000 items and/or 10 GB of content).
- You need to have enough free storage space on your computer for all your files and folders.
- You will need to download the files that are shared with you separately.
- When people share files with your OneDrive account, they appear in the "Shared" section of your OneDrive. You can either download these files separately or you can add them to your Drive before you start downloading the content from your account.
- You will have to re-organize the downloaded files and folders before you upload them.
- When you download several files or folders at once, Microsoft puts them in zip archives. If you want to preserve the folder structure of your OneDrive account within Google Drive, you will need to unzip the archives before you upload the files to Google Drive.
- You will need a stable broadband connection and uninterrupted power supply.
Option 3. Copy your files using OneDrive and Google Drive desktop apps
This method involves installing additional software.
Here’s how you can copy your files:
The limitations of this method include the following:
- To transfer your files from OneDrive to Google Drive using the desktop apps, you’ll need to have enough storage space on your computer for the files that you wish to copy.
- The OneDrive app will not display the files that are shared with you and you will not be able to drag and drop them. To save these documents, download them from the "Shared" section of your OneDrive to your computer and then upload them to your Google Drive.
- OneDrive and Google Drive may sync very slowly because the apps will not be moving the files directly from one account into the other online. One app will download the documents to your hard drive and then the other app will upload them to your account. The speed of the process will depend on the speed and stability of your broadband connection.
- If you have a large account (over 10 GB and/or over 10,000 files), the copying process may fail to complete. Desktop apps for cloud drives are not optimized for working with large volumes of files which may cause the process to get stuck.
You can move your files from OneDrive to Google Drive automatically or manually. The choice depends on several factors, including how valuable your documents are to you and how much time you have.
If you wish to transfer your OneDrive documents to Google Drive quickly and securely, use VaultMe. The VaultMe app migrates OneDrive files automatically and works online in a browser.
If you are moving away from Microsoft to Google, you may also want to transfer your Outlook emails to Gmail. VaultMe can migrate Outlook emails, contacts, and calendars together with OneDrive files. VaultMe is a paid service, but it saves time and makes the whole process painless.
If you’d prefer to copy your files from OneDrive to Google Drive for free, use one of the manual options. You should make sure you are comfortable with their limitations before you start and be prepared for some difficulties.